Business Improvement District
Notification of Ballot
Over the past six months, One Maidstone, the existing and successful town centre management organisation, has been looking at the possibility of a Business Improvement District (BID) for the town centre.
A BID is a business-led and business funded body formed to improve a defined commercial area. BIDs are now a major part of town and city centres, with almost 300 in operation throughout the UK.
This is an opportunity to review the potential BID activities which have been identified by businesses to date following consultation.
The feedback has been collated from responses from more than 135 town centre businesses. The research obtained so far shows that businesses would like to see a BID that better promotes the area to existing and new visitors and works to enhance the look and feel of the area.
The themes that have emerged from consultation with businesses so far are:
Enhancing the look and feel of the town centre. This would include:
- Improving perceptions of the car parking offer
- Reducing crime and anti-social behaviour
- Improving feelings of safety
Promoting Maidstone in new ways that encourages existing daytime visitors to extend their stay and discover the evening offer. This would include:
- Promoting the aspects of Maidstone that people are not aware of
- Finding better synergy between the town centre and Maidstone’s heritage
Targeted at changing perceptions and raising awareness of Maidstone and all it has to offer/should be known for. This would include:
- Attracting customers to visit more
- Attracting new businesses to the town centre
- Encouraging longer visits and higher spend
BALLOT & LEVY RULES
Subject to this consultation and a subsequent successful ballot, businesses will pay an annual levy of 1.5% of the rateable value of the property. Reduced to 1% for those businesses based in Shopping Centres.
Those with a rateable value of £15,000 and above will be subject to the BID levy.
The BID will generate an income of approximately £2.15m over its initial five year term to fund the projects.
- We would love to hear your comments on the activities of the proposed BID. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can ensure any business plan created for the BID reflects your priorities for the town.
- View the Notification of Ballot brochure (PDF)
- View the Business Improvement District Business Plan (PDF)
- View the Business Improvement District boundary (PDF)
The following streets are in the Business Improvement District:
Bank Street, Bishops Way, Brewer Street, Church Street, County Road, Earl Street, Fairmeadow, Fremlin Walk, Gabriels Hill, Granada Street, High Street, King Street, Knightrider Court, Knightrider Street, Lower Boxley Road, Lower Stone Street, The Mall, Market Buildings, Marsham Street, McKenzie Court, Medway Street, Middle Row, Mill Street, Pads Hill, Palace Avenue, Pudding Lane, Romney Place, Rose Yard, The Royal Star Arcade, Sandling Road, Sessions House Square, St Faith’s Street, Starnes Court, Station Road, Union Street, Waterside, Week Street, Wheeler Street, Woollett Street, Wyke Manor Road.